Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Heart is Filled with Love at Last Sight


I said, “I fell in love with you at first sight,”

You said, “Oh, it was a crazy night,”

I said, “The moon was beautiful and bright,

 But I couldn’t see anything but you,”



You said, “I don’t think that was true,

You came in with someone dressed in blue,”

I said, “I’ll have to admit once more you’re right,

Let’s just forget about love at first sight,”



It was not as important as I thought it would be,

It was a step in the right direction, don’t you agree?

We were newlyweds ready to begin,

Confident we could change the world, again and again,



But it was the second step, or maybe it was three or four,

When we connected deeply, right at heart’s door,

Steps five or six, we really began to communicate,

Every day I grew more in love, it was such a happy state,



Knowing your love for me was also deep,

Made it so easy to have a restful sleep,

Love at first sight seemed unreal and so long ago,

As life expanded our love continued to grow,



We were stepping into our future, two of a kind,

I was so crazy about you as if I’d lost my mind,

Years went by so quickly with you at my side,

And I still thought of you as my beautiful bride,



When you were stricken with that terrible disease,

I had to tell you “I love you” to put your mind at ease,

I still loved you when your hair began to fall,

It didn’t change the way I felt, no, not at all,



The moon outside is breathtaking and luminous tonight,

But you’re lying here cold in the middle of the night,

Your frail body is still beautiful to my sight,

I’ll lie beside you until morning’s early light,



Remembering tears and laughter we shared,

The ways we showed each other we cared,

How we worked through our problems every day,

Learned to forgive and to often pray,



We didn’t let disagreements go on long,

As we trusted each other we were twice as strong,

I didn’t really understand love at first sight,

We took our turns at being wrong and right,



Now you’ve left this earth on your final flight,

And my heart is filled with love at last sight.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews