Friday, December 23, 2011

Santa's Surprise (another version)


Twas the night before Christmas and all across the yard,

Not a creature was stirring, a German Shepherd was on guard,

Everyone was in bed, secure in their sleep,

All dreams were about Christmas, no worries too deep,



Presents were wrapped and scattered around the tree,

The presents were for the children, Emma, and me,

I had just walked the dogs several blocks or more,

They were calmer now so I hung their leashes by the door,



I was sitting at my computer for I had poems to write,

When I heard a few growls, a snap, and a bite,

Two German shepherds had been my only alarm,

Now someone had entered, perhaps with an intent to harm,



I grabbed my Glock and raced to the tree,

Wondering what kind of scene awaited me,

A red suited man stood with his back to the wall,

He made no moves while the shepherds waited my call,



The back of his pants was torn by a bite,

They’d be a bit drafty the rest of the night,

“Your dogs are vicious, they bit and I’ll sue,”

He sputtered obscenities until his face was blue,



His eyes widened suddenly as he saw the gun,

And I realized right then I could have some fun,

“It seems to me you’ve invaded my space,

And I’ve a right to protect my family and place,



Since you come and go as if it doesn’t matter,

This time you’re wrong for I’m a mad hatter,”

His eyes were still wide as he studied my face,

“Perhaps my remarks were a bit out of place,”



“I’ve still got places to go and people to see,

Would you call off the dogs and let me be,

I’m a little tense from traveling all night,

I apologize for my temper, and I’ll make things right,”



With one hand signal the dogs were released from patrol,

They romped around Santa although under control,

He gave each dog some chews and a bag full of toys,

Then he skipped around the tree without any noise,



Stockings were filled with all kinds of games,

Carefully marked with everyone’s names,

Then up the chimney he rose in a hurry,

For outside the weather had changed to snow flurries,



I praised the dogs lavishly for guarding the house well,

No intruders could enter without encountering hell,

I slipped back to bed without writing a bit,

I didn’t tell Emma because she wouldn’t believe it,



“Now Brutus, now Killer, now Ty and Wolf,

Each one of you to your posts and guard the roof,

Santa might come back and give it another try,

Watch out for invaders that either walk or fly,



And then I lay down with Emma at my side,

I was still thinking of my dogs with pride,

When Emma said, “Merry Christmas and now goodnight,

Did you put the lid down and turn out the light?”



You’d think I’d remember each routine task,

Just once without her having to ask,

The dogs are restless and there’s no need to talk,

I know it’s late but the dogs have to walk.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews