Thursday, May 26, 2011

Accidentally on Purpose (Part 3)



Career Choice #7

I had a burning desire to be,

 A fireman with little concern for fame,

 But I would have chances to control,

The roaring fires and dancing flames,



The excitement of saving property and lives,

Blaring sirens down the street,

I didn’t think I’d need anything more,

To make my life complete,



The daily routines of clean and polish,

Continued practice of life saving skills,

Nerves on edge waiting for calls,

Cool and calm between the drills,



A gruff lieutenant got on my case,

He wanted my learning faster to be,

But I had a sensitive side,

And I didn’t like him barking at me,



I flamed out and lost my cool,

I wasn’t going to be anybody’s fool,

A jack of all trades, a master of none,

I hadn’t settled down, I was still having fun,





Career Choice #8

I was still thinking music,

And learning piano and guitar,

I had messages of love to give,

I hadn’t thought about being a star,



Yet the stage was pulling me,

I could be an actor strutting about,

But my acting was soon questioned,

And my stuttering left no doubt,



As an actor I didn’t get far,

I was just another example,

Of a brief shooting star,



Career Choice #9

I was a guest on a radio show,

For newspapers I was a hit,

Perhaps I could be a newsman,

My career—I had finally found it,



I covered fires and crimes,

Sports stories were very easy,

But one thing bothered me a lot,

Deadlines made me queasy,



In smoke filled rooms an hour to write,

I rushed to get my stories in,

But wait! When a new story was breaking,

My stories were shoved aside again!



When my articles were completely done,

I would proudly hand them in,

An editor would slice them up,

No point arguing, I knew I’d never win,



When I had a better understanding,

Of what I needed to do,

My articles were allowed to run,

And I had a byline too,



But like all good things,

This finally came to an end,

The local newspaper folded,

And I lost my editor friend,



This career path I enjoyed,

But now I was unemployed,



Career Choice #10

Shaking hands and kissing babies,

I never knew what would ensue,

I wanted to tell voters what they wanted to hear,

Instead of saying what was true,



When I thought I wanted to be a politician,

I forgot my problem with lies,

I just couldn’t keep a straight face,

The truth was there in my eyes,



PAC’s, voter blocs, all wanted an exclusive promise,

That I’d vote for their particular sin,

They wanted a promise that I’d love them forever,

Before campaign funds would start trickling in,



People everywhere think there’s no use,

When politicians don’t even seem to try,

But if politicians tell the truth they’ll have no excuse,

It’s much easier to defend a lie,



I missed my chance for office and fame,

I was told I should play the game,

But I’d rather be poor and unknown,

And still be proud of my name,

(To be continued)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews