Thursday, May 19, 2011

"I'm Not a Madman!"


“ I’m Not a Madman!”

I was convinced it was a tremendous act of fate,

When assigned an interview that would air at eight,

I would interview a murderer as his doctor studied him,

But he watched me as he addressed his doctor’s latest whim,



The recorded interview went as follows,

As he tried to prove to us his words weren’t hollow:



“How can I convince you that she is there in my dreams?

Either I’m a liar or a madman it seems,

But wait! Didn’t I just tell you about your uncle, Dr. Thoreau?

Where do you think I got that information, I want to know?”



“The woman in green told me about him and others too,

She travels in both worlds, even if you think that’s taboo,

Whispering in my ear until the break of dawn,

Rarely do I sleep, you see how my face is drawn?”



While she’s in your world would you find her and talk?

Ask her to stay out of my dreams, no longer should she stalk,

Yes, I think she’s beautiful and I’d like to sample her charms,

But she only smiles and teases me, never in my arms,”



“You’ll see, you’ll see, that’s all you ever answer me,

If you don’t believe me, how can I ever be free?

I’m not a liar, you know I always tell you every fact,

Don’t shake your head, you know that makes me react,”



“You think these bindings will hold me if I choose to leave?

Dr. Thoreau, if I broke loose you’d have so much to grieve,

Do I need a sedative so I can finally get some rest?

I’m afraid of the woman in green, what else do you suggest?”



“You’ll consult with the other doctors and hear what they say?

You’ll post a guard outside my door to watch both night and day?

You think someone is crazy, and for once we finally agree,

Wait, you’ve got this wrong, the crazy one isn’t me,”



“I see the woman in green at night when she checks the fluids bag,

I pretend that I’m sleeping, I’m good but I won’t brag,

One of these nights she’ll stop to whisper in my ear,

 I’ll leap up and grab her, and her eyes will show fear,”



“Her days of walking in a shadowy world will be done,

And I will keep her as my proof of a trophy won,

Dr. Thoreau, you’ll be surprised to see that I don’t lie,

And dreams that are real to me can sometimes die,”



“You’ll know for an instant that a madman I cannot be,

Then you’ll join the woman in green and I’ll be free,

Hiding in shadows, waiting for someone alone to sleep,

In the middle of the night, by her bedside I will creep,”



“Whispering in her ear until the break of day,

Waiting until she wakes and asks me to stay,

She will love me forever to see I’m not a dream,

Unless she’s a madwoman and decides to scream,”



“I’m not a madman,” he told me confidentially,

“After you’ve heard my story, I think you’ll agree,”

He waited for my opinion, watching my eyes,

“Just tell me the truth, I don’t want to hear lies,”



His bindings appeared secure, he couldn’t lunge,

Without much hesitation, I took the plunge,

“No one will tell you because it doesn’t matter,

But you’re crazy all right, crazy as a mad hatter,”



He coughed, then grinned, and began to cackle,

“It wouldn’t take much to get rid of these shackles,

One of these days I’ll find a way to be free,

I’ll leave you alone because you are honest with me,”



“I don’t trust Dr. Thoreau, he hides behind words,

Or the other doctors, who are like angry birds,

Neither do I enjoy the shots that make me dream,

That’s one of the reasons I dislike the woman in green,”



My time was up, I had recorded his views,

I had everything I needed to make the local news,

“So long,” I said, “Just stay out of trouble,

Every wild thing you do makes your time double,”



I was out of the parking lot and onto the street,

When the radio station called me about a disturbing feat,

A dangerous man had escaped the cell he was in,

Did I know where he was going? Or any of his kin?



I thought without asking, the man on the loose,

Was looking for vengeance while avoiding the noose,

It all happened so quickly he couldn’t get far,

But I hope you thoroughly check inside your car,



My interview will be aired for all to see,

He’s considered armed and dangerous, even to me,

Police are swarming like bees from a hive,

His picture is shown with the words, Dead or Alive,





He’s not a liar if you believe what he said,

But his lies are true, and they’re all in his head,

He might tweet you or Google his brother,

Use his mobile device to contact some other,



He’s got a few quirks, and he’s just a little mean,

I don’t think he likes anyone who’s wearing green,

A master of disguises, he’s hard to describe well,

How long he remains free, only time will tell,



He might leave the area and rebuild his past,

He might find love with a marriage that lasts,

Become an outstanding citizen that everyone knows,

Live on a street with trees lined in rows,



I’m only guessing when I predict his life,

 I’m hoping he will change from violence and strife,

But he’s a liar and a madman, he can’t change a lot,

Unless you believe a leopard can change his spots.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews