Thursday, May 26, 2011

Accidentally on Purpose (Part 4)



Career Choice #11

Never having enough,

Life was really tough,

But at twelve I was ready to see,

What the world had in store for me,



With the art of sales I came to grips,

Because newspaper subscriptions won trips,

Competitive commissions rewarded my work,

I didn’t need much for my perks,



Then on to bigger, better things,

Selling of tractors, diamond rings,

I sold items the customer didn’t really need,

I was caught in a whirlwind of my own greed,



The three I’s, Income, Independence, Impact,

Make something happen, a salesman’s facts,

I sold dreams well because I was bold,

But I felt in danger of losing my soul,



So I sold out, didn’t hesitate,

(Of course later I sold real estate),



Career Choice #12

Sculpted and manicured, bushes and lawns,

 As a teen I used my brains and my brawn,

Met with clients and nursery personnel,

They could trust me, things were going well,



Lined up my customers for weekend spots,

A very rigid schedule, right on the dot,

My business was complicated and vying with sports,

I was earning a reputation as a businessman of sorts,



There were several men working for me,

Until off to college I went, the world to see,

I’ve often wondered what might have been,

But I’d make the same choices all over again,



I left preparing the grounds for preparing my mind,

But I enjoyed working outdoors, I couldn’t leave it behind,



Career Choice #13

A sting operation was in store for me,

Little did I know I would be handling bees,

When I helped a beekeeper they got under my skin,

What a precarious occupation I soon found myself in,



It was outdoor work which I enjoyed,

Nature surrounded me and I was self-employed,

More than a hobby, beekeeping was still part-time,

But I made more income than teaching full-time.



I rented out bees for pollination every spring,

Then queens and package bees became my thing,

Honey was the least profitable part on my list,

My three phase business was angel kissed,



The bee business survived flood and drought,

It was humming along until divorce snuffed it out,

But then I had time with my children to play,

I could leave queens and things for another day,



Career Choice #14

There were careers I said no because I had doubts,

I could have made money, so what was that about?

My career selection became a matter of the heart,

Becoming a teacher was the best place to start,



Teaching students to live life abundantly became my fate,

I didn’t need fame but I wanted my students to be great,

I won’t know if they were successful in living their lives,

They’d be too occupied adjusting their inner drives,



Someday when our lives merge on some busy street,

What will they tell me when we chance to meet?

I hope they smile and point at me with pride,

And say, “Your class was great, I enjoyed the ride,”



From lower grades to middle, on through high school,

They knew if they tried, failure was against my rule,

And those who pushed for the higher grades,

Could pick and choose college or trades,



For careers were not mine alone to choose,

In this game students could win or lose,

After many long years I gave up the daily grind,

I didn’t want to be searching for my long lost mind,



Career Choice #15

Writing is something I would do in shade or sun,

It was therapeutic, calming, my idea of fun,

I was painting a picture, only with words,

My stories would wander about like tipsy birds,

I wrote news articles, short stories, even two books,

Not much would sell, editors wouldn’t look,

But words kept oozing out my pores,

And I kept writing poems by the scores,

Life was crazy as I was dragged through life’s dirt,

I tried to keep busy and laugh when I hurt,

Single parent and lonely, occupations galore,

I decided to write about life and forget keeping score,

I have a website shopping mall along with my posts,

I get to write poems to draw visitors and I am the host,

And books?  I hope someday to publish a few,

My writing is my life that changed as it grew,

Poetry and stories are waiting to be told,

I’ve got to release them, I’ve got to be bold,

It’s my final frontier that I’ll have to face,

There are so many stories to write I’ll have to race,

For a writer with stories that he just has to tell,

Will drive him insane, as you know quite well.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews