Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Love is an Act and That's a Fact"

“I’m here to audition,” I explained to the old man,
He remained sitting, he didn’t bother to stand,
“So you’re the hot shot actor,” he said with a smirk,
“Do you think you’re made for this line of work?”
“I’ve had good reviews, so I think I’m good,”
“You’re playing opposite that young singer,
Her star is on the rise,” He shook his finger,
“Before you get too content, let me vent,
And perhaps there’s a problem I can prevent,
I’ll tell you a little story that happened to me,”
He was at the casting desk;  I had to agree,
So he told me how his story came to be,
With sweeping gestures his hands flew,
Telling the story dramatically, as only he knew,

“Our two lives converged in a moment of time,
The world was our stage and we the cast,
Expected to play in a love story with passions prime,
It was meant to be ongoing for a lifetime,
But somehow my starring role was surpassed;

She was the consummate artist in her prime,
She became a new persona, with skills so vast,
In the moment I got caught up in the story line,
Believing I was hers and she was mine,
She played her role and I was outclassed,

Two lives diverged in that moment of time,
My chance at glory so quickly passed,
Her career was still on the climb,
A riveting actress with skills sublime,
Her stardom was sure to last,

In the moment I became lost in the story line,
Believing I was hers and she was mine,
In that moment I lost my heart,
I was real but she played a part,
In that one moment my world stood still,
All my dreams were fulfilled,
Now I see love as just an act,
Whimsical, not matter of fact,
And all the world is a stage,
Where love is the rage,
It’s just an act,
That’s a fact.”

With his story over he picked up a broom,
And quickly swept out of the room,
Just before a woman entered and looked around,
“I hope that old man didn’t bother you much,
He tells a crazy story about his acting and such,
He’s been the custodian here for ages and ages,
I’m not sure he even gets any wages,
He thinks he’s in love with a certain actress,
I think he was overcome with stress,
But in his case, it’s just an act,
That’s a fact.
Now don’t worry about him,
I want you to meet Kim,
In this love story she’s your co-star,
She’s good and I’m sure she’ll go far.”




No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews