Monday, January 3, 2011

Wait Until Later (Part Three) The Prank

When I was off duty I gathered my supply,
Patiently prepared, for there would just be one try,
I drilled holes in the cans and tied them with line,
“Perfect,” I thought, “This will work fine,”
A few days later when the women were leaving,
Tom plied me with questions about the plan I was weaving,
“It’s a simple plan, it’ll work, just wait and see,
First on my list is to climb their tree,”
I crossed the street and climbed with glee,
Draped the cans over branches so they couldn’t see,
Then I returned carrying the fishing line,
Attached it high in a nearby tree, with a clever design,
Tom still watched, his eyes full of question marks,
I only said, “Wait until later, when it’s good and dark,”
A few hours later, “It’s time,” I quietly said,
“I think the women are snug in their beds,”
Hidden behind shrubbery I gave the line a yank,
The cans across the street danced, clink, clank!
A light went on, a head peered out,
They heard the noise, there was no doubt,
They went inside, I yanked once more,
Clinkedy clank, clank, clank! There was a roar,
Lights went on, the women raced out,
Carrying weapons of destruction with lots of clout,
To Tom’s delight and to their chagrin,
They found no intruders or pranksters again,
They stepped into the street, unaware of my scheme,
The cans rattled behind them, prompting both to scream,
Tom howled with laughter, quiet no more,
They rushed at him, they were very sore,
Angrily they demanded what he was doing wrong,
“It’s getting even time, I’ve waited so long,”
They still weren’t happy, they both wore frowns,
It was a few days before they cooled down,
A truce was declared, everyone agreed to comply,
Although occasionally we received a hot apple pie,
And we brought gifts from file and rank,
When word got out about “the prank”,
Over the next few years the story increased,
Until the laughter subsided and all memories ceased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews