Friday, April 8, 2011

Give Me Time To Earn My Wings

Are you the angel I talk to at night?
You’re right at my side when I turn out the light,
I encourage you to listen but I ignore what you say,
And yet you’re expected to guide me the “right” way,
I should be quiet for awhile and listen to you,
But I’m only human, so what else can I do?
I should be wiser and hold your words dear,
Because you speak the truth, I should have nothing to fear,
When you leave for a moment even in the night,
My heart watches for you, and keeps you in sight,
Are you the angel that hovers during the day?
Fanning me with your wings, keeping the heat away,
You’re playful as you flit and twirl around,
While I can only imagine my feet off the ground,
You’re forgiving when my words hurt deep,
 I don’t really want to give you reasons to weep,
But you’re one of the angels assigned to me,
Shielding me from demons protectively,
They’re always close by, urging me to run,
“Escape from your angel and have some fun,”
“Freely enjoying without someone holding you back,”
“You don’t have to stay on that one way track,”
The demons forget I’ve walked on that side,
I’ve scars and bruises all over my pride,
I eluded my angels while demons preened my vanity,
But like a prodigal son I returned to my sanity,
Worse for the wear, out of the muck and grime,
I stay closer to my angels, so much wiser this time,
I don’t always listen to those angelic voices,
And I blame only myself for unwise choices,
My angels guide me to those in need across the land,
And show me ways my heart can expand,
Are you one of those angels who’s constantly sharing,
And teaching me ways I can still be caring?
Whether an angel extraordinaire and wise,
Or still earning your wings while in human guise,
You’ve been patiently waiting while wisdom I acquire,
Becoming steel at last, hardened by the fire,
So if you’re my personal angel, or one of a troop,
Make way, I’m trying, to become one of your group,
For I like angels, butterflies, and fluttery things,
Just give me time to earn my wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews