Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Sleep Well!"




The scouts gathered around the crackling fire,

And asked me about my lonely life,

Why didn’t you travel across the seas,

Why didn’t you take a wife?



“I’m growing old, though I’m still young,

And I’ll share a tale or two,

I didn’t have gray hair a few years ago,

But now, that’s what love will do,



I pointed to my locks of hair,

Which they could clearly see were white,

“I’m going to tell you about a creature,

Who might bite your neck tonight!”



“These Ouachita Mountains hide some ghouls,

Oh, dear ones, they’re hidden very well,

They’re watching you day and night,

You might fall under one’s spell,”



“I was smug, I didn’t believe the tales,

The forests looked so peaceful and green,

How could creatures be lurking about,

With everything appearing so serene?



It was noon, or maybe three or four,

I strolled about the forest green,

In a dense thicket I discovered a clearing,

And the prettiest girl I’d ever seen,”



Her hair she brushed until it gleamed,

I was blinded by the glare,

Her lips were full and rosy,

I was captivated by her cold dark stare,



“What brings you here?” she demanded,

I didn’t quite know what to say,

I thought the forest was mine to explore,

But she said I’d gone astray,



I was off the given trail, it’s true,

I shouldn’t have wandered there,

Her rosy lips pulled back into a snarl,

Revealing fangs she was ready to bare,



She crouched low before she sprang,

The forest suddenly grew quiet,

One thought flashed through my mind,

“I’m going to die tonight!”



Now I’m not a man to brag or boast,

I knew I had but a few seconds to live,

I cried out, “You’ve already captured my heart,

And I still have love to give!”



“This statement caught her by surprise,

She hesitated while in midair,

Her fangs drew back into a smile,

Her kiss caught me square,



It was everything I needed,

It was wonderful and took my breath,

She held me and loved me,

Her kiss was not a kiss of death,



All this happened just a few years ago,

Scouts, you’ll just have to believe,

These Ouachita Mountains will tell you true,

Because I know they won’t try to deceive,



If you should happen on strange folk,

Who snarl and show their fangs,

Back away and run for help,

Before they have hunger pangs,



And love, let it be your last resort,

Just before your final fight,

See these wounds upon my neck,

That’s why my hair is white,



Yes, I love her, I truly do,

But I wouldn’t recommend my fate,

She thirsts after my blood,

I have to hurry, my love can’t wait,”



“If you wander away from the group,

Be sure to take a friend,”

Their eyes were wide and very big,

As my tale came to an end,



“The forest is beautiful but take care,

Creatures live close by the trail,

Now I must hurry and be inside where it’s safe,

Remember my story, and be sure to Sleep Well!”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews