Saturday, November 13, 2010

When I Was Young

When I Was Young
In my youth imagination was gold,
I was given all nature to behold,
Often alone with nothing to do,
The world on stage made its debut,
The squirrels laughed as they gave chase,
Around the trees at a dizzying pace,
Gold and silver were in my hand,
Continental armies were at my command,
The moon over the mountain top would peep,
While the worn-out sun went home to sleep,
Lightning bugs in summer lit my way,
 I danced barefoot as long as I could play,
Cicadas sang until they shed their skin,
By the creek a symphony would begin,
And frogs and crickets all chimed in,
Warriors and knights stood ready to defend,
The castles I made out of clay and mud,
I rushed to help if I smelled dragon’s blood,
The trees protected me with their leaves,
From pirates, monsters, and murderous thieves,
Oh, what summers I had, I wish I had more,
Because I was a king, though I was poor.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews